Charles Sullivan – Klonopin Addiction Survivor
My name is Charles Sullivan. I am a father, professional website designer, and a survivor of addiction to the drug Klonopin (clonazepam), which I call. Having been dependent on the popular anxiety drug since I was a teenager, I came clean after surviving an overdose that should have taken my life.
I have since educated myself on everything in involving addiction and recovery. I’ve also studied mental health issues that can sometimes lead to substance abuse. I’m determined not to make the same mistakes my parents made.
Now I have a new purpose and am an advocate for recovery and prevention. I try to help as many people know that they aren’t alone, while also helping others avoid addiction.
I found life after drug addiction. My new mission in life is to help others find the same by sharing my story and educating others. I often speak at high schools and treatment centers about prevention and recovery.
Being a father of a 12-year-old and a 14-year-old, my biggest passion is for teens. Addiction found me in my teen years when I was in pain and vulnerable. I wish to teach teens and parents the dangers of even prescription drugs, and how to avoid becoming dependent. If I can help just one family, I’ve done my job.
Stories of Hope
In this section, I share stories sent to me by other people who have battled addiction and recovered. I want people to see that I’m not the exception. So many other brave men and women have found a way to move on and live full lives after addiction. Anyone can.
Resources To Help
Below is a list of links and resources that have helped me in my journey, as well as some that I believe will help others.
- Walnut Creek Youth Center – A teen rehab center in Michigan started by Dr. John Strong Ph.D. and Dr. Lily Strong Ph.D., a husband and wife team devoted to helping teens through the recovery process.
- Why Do Teenagers Start Using Drugs? – An article that goes into depth about what teens deal with and why they start using drugs.
- Addiction Treatment Options For Teens – Different treatment options that rehab centers provide for teens, including both inpatient treatment and outpatient treatment.
- Prevention – Find proven methods on how to prevent your teen from taking that first sip or first pill.
- Do You Still Think Drug Abuse Won’t Touch Your Child? – It’s easy to believe that your child can’t ever be affected by drug abuse, but that’s a myth. Read this article to learn how to help your teen.